Mathematics is central to learning. Our children's lives are full of numbers. Mathematics also helps them to achieve well in other subjects such as science, computing, history and geography. It is vital to how our children learn and live. We use the Power Maths Mastery Teaching Programme across the whole school.
At Holy Cross Catholic Primary School we aim to develop children who:
- Understand numbers, how to count them, read them and apply their knowledge to understanding large and decimal numbers.
- Have excellent foundation knowledge. This includes the vital elements of number bonds to 20 and division and multiplication times tables.
- Are mentally agile. Our children should be confident and fluent with numbers and number patterns.
- Use their mathematical knowledge to solve calculation and problems. They have mastered the concept and mathematics as well as understaing how 'to do' something.
- Apply their mathematics in a variety of situations.
“Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment”
Primary National Curriculum, 2014