At Holy Cross Catholic Primary School, we aim to develop positive attitudes towards physical activity and promote healthy lifestyles through a balanced programme of dance, games, gymnastics, athletics, swimming and outdoor activities. We believe that through the variety of opportunities that P.E. offers, children can develop a sense of personal achievement, fair play, teamwork and an understanding of the ways in which sport can transcend social and cultural boundaries.
Purposes and Aims
- To ensure that all children will be physically active and find enjoyment and fulfillment in physical activity which lasts a lifetime.
- To provide opportunities for children to acquire and develop skills performing with increasing physical competence and confidence in a range of physical activities and contexts.
- To develop positive attitudes to physical activity including perseverance, fair play and sportsmanship as well as the ability to cope with failure and promote a fair response to winning and losing
- To teach children about personal safety in relation to their bodies/clothing and dangers in using equipment inappropriately, including within the water.
- To develop children’s knowledge and understanding of the human body and its capabilities
Early Years and Foundation Stage will work towards the following National Curriculum requirements;
Moving and handling: children show good control and co-ordination in large and small movements. They move confidently in a range of ways, safely negotiating space. They handle equipment and tools effectively.
Health and self-care: children know the importance for good health of physical exercise, and a healthy diet, and talk about ways to keep healthy and safe. They manage their own basic hygiene and personal needs successfully, including dressing and going to the toilet independently.
Curriculum aims – by the end of Key Stage 2, children should be able to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations